Local News
Community news from our local sources
Where do you want your news from?
Pick a place — we'll remember it on this device.

THIS DAY IN HISTORY: NASA’s Dawn Mission Launched From Cape Canaveral in 2007 to Explore Vesta and Ceres
In 2007, DAWN launched from Cape Canaveral to visit asteroid Vesta and dwarf planet Ceres. [...]

October Child Find

Tennessee's failed execution ignites a medical ethics debate
After a botched lethal injection in May, dozens of Tennessee medical professionals told the governor that healthcare professionals shouldn't help with executions, ever. No matter the method.

Tennessee's failed execution ignites a medical ethics debate
After a botched lethal injection in May, dozens of Tennessee medical professionals told the governor that healthcare professionals shouldn't help with executions, ever. No matter the method.
AI has sparked anxiety, earlier generations showed us ways to manage our fears
Much of what we are hearing about AI leaves many people anxious about the risks posed by the technology. The writer Michael Sacacas takes a long view of how to manage such feelings.

The fall of a showgirl: An embarrassing era for Swifties
After “The Life of a Showgirl” was released last October, I decided to take a bit of a Taylor hiatus. While I was originally excited to hear a new sound from her, perhaps even reminiscent of the production in “1989,” I was met with severe disillusionment. Since then, I’ve…
The poverty rate among older Americans is rising, survey shows
Bucking the national trend, poverty has been steadily rising among seniors and older adults. A new survey sheds light on how low-income people are struggling in the crucial years before retirement.

Public Notice

Les Jacobson: Asides
Once you’re a parent, you’re never again completely carefree. I leave my dreams as I leave my friends, with regret. I took a personality test recently. Good news: It came back negative. Best diet of all: Be so busy and engaged you forget to eat. All things considered, I’d rather…
British men released on bail after suspected terror plot
Five British men have been released on bail after being detained near a military base for alleged terror offenses. The British base is used by the U.S. military for strikes on Iran.

Ken Paxton argues for more data centers in Texas, saying ‘there’s plenty of open space’
Apparently deciding he wasn’t polling low enough, Texas Attorney General and U.S. Senate hopeful Ken Paxton has come out strongly in favor of more data center development. The breakneck expansion of data centers is disproportionately affecting Republicans in rural Texas, drawing…