Texas Austin County Greater Houston

Wallis

News across Austin County

The Sealy News Published September 29

Ghosts of Austin County: The gallows of the old county jail

BELLVILLE — Some buildings don't need a ghost story to feel haunted.Just off the courthouse square in Bellville, the old Austin County Jail looks almost as imposing today as county officials intended

The Sealy News Published September 29

SEALY HEALTH INSPECTIONS

Please be advised that the City of Sealy Health Inspector has inspected the following establishments for food preparation, kitchen cleanliness, and sanitary conditions: McDonald’s, 1724 Meter St., rec

The Sealy News Published September 29

I used to play the violin

When it comes to music, I am quite a fan. I enjoy all kinds of music, though some more than others. When I’m driving, I love having the radio on and listening to music. Sometimes I jump from station t

The Sealy News Published September 23

Hayden Comes Home

On Aug. 18, 2026, firefighter Shawn Perez was attending training with the San Felipe/ Frydek Volunteer Fire Department. During the training he received a call that his daughter Hayden was seriously in

The Sealy News Published September 23

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

Dear Editor, We are writing to help our citizens understand an important issue that affects how our city can grow and pay for the services we all rely on.For more than 14 years, the City of Sealy has

The Sealy News Published September 23

Letter to the Editor

I’ve been contemplat’n this Guvnrs race and let me tell ya someth’n, I ain’t real sure either of ’em understands folks around here.Ol’ aButt’s been down there in Austin so long I reckon he’s forgot wh

The Sealy News Published September 23

A flashback to my grandfather’s pipe

This week, The Gracious Mistress of the Parsonage and I went shopping. Normally, I don’t go shopping, at least not with her. However, this was a special occasion, and so I tagged along.I’m not quite s

The Sealy News Published September 16

PAGES FROM THE PAST

30YEARS AGOSept. 17, 1996 Gene Fontenot re-entered the U.S. 8th Congressional race. He made it official the week before when he signed on to re-enter the race in which he had lost the Republican prima

The Sealy News Published September 16

LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Sitting here listening to everyone debate a $474,000 deficit… who gets a raise, who doesn’t, what we pay our early-voting and election workers, what departments can cut, and how much more taxpayers ca

The Sealy News Published September 16

Your community has a right to know

LETTER FROM THE EDITORThere is a simple principle behind much of what we strive to do at The Sealy News: You have a right to know what is happening in the community where you live.The same is true for

The Sealy News Published September 16

CAPITAL HIGHLIGHTS

SENATE GOP OPENS WALLET FOR PAXTON’S CAMPAIGN Republican leadership is pouring tens of millions of dollars into the U.S. Senate campaign of Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, who is locked in a tight

The Sealy News Published September 09

A fruitcake isn’t always sweet

When it comes to sweet items, I am a connoisseur with a delicate palate. All I need is something sweet set before me, and I can tell you how wonderful it is after the first bite. I may be a little add

An unhandled error has occurred. Reload 🗙