News across Greater Portland

Opinion: Clark County Today celebrates 10th anniversary with redesign
Clark County Today marks its 10th anniversary with a rebuilt website launching Sunday, celebrating its Sept. 27 anniversary.

Opinion: Clark County Today celebrates 10th anniversary with redesign
Clark County Today marks its 10th anniversary with a rebuilt website launching Sunday, celebrating its Sept. 27 anniversary.

Biding His Primetime: Robert Pattinson Attains Peak Weird Guy Form
“What would have happened if I wasn’t here?” Robert Pattinson asks this question throughout Primetime. In the role of Chris Hansen—the indeterminately telegenic host of once-popular hidden camera show To Catch A Predator—Pattinson practically turns the question into a mantra.…

Letter: ‘John Braun works to protect jobs, grow agricultural trade, cut government waste, and expand energy production to fuel our future’
Letter writer Margaret Tweet contrasts John Braun's business record and Navy background with her scrutiny of Marie Gluesenkamp Perez's voting history and name discrepancies.

POP QUIZ PDX: It’s a SCANDAL! 😲
CALLING ALL BRAINIACS! It’s time to put that brainy-brain to the test with this edition of POP QUIZ PDX—our local, sassy-ass trivia quiz. And this week we’ll see how much YOU know about the latest local political scandals—because as you know, Portland has nothing better to do…

Good Morning, News: Portland Mayor Breaks Tie Vote for Zenith, Introducing Our Citywide Dolly Parton Day, and Other Such Glitter That Is Gold
If you appreciate the Mercury‘s interesting and useful news & culture reporting, consider making a small monthly contribution to support our editorial team. Your donation is tax-deductible. You can also subscribe and have our papers delivered! Good Morning, Portland! The weather…

Romancing Portland Taught Me How to Embrace Writing Smut
I’m reading smut at lunch. Facing a cement wall in the parking lot, I comb an explicit love scene between bites of cottage cheese. Within the pages, Hades and Persephone are in his sex dungeon doing something I’d usually open an incognito tab for. He flips her this way. He flips…

US Senate Republicans spotlight trans athletes issue as midterms approach
Senate Republicans held a Judiciary Committee hearing on trans athletes in women's sports less than six weeks before midterm elections.

Opinion: A Boeing strike could give the state’s UI fund a much bigger test
As of Sept. 14, 174 striking workers have collected $604,491 from Washington's Unemployment Trust Fund under a new law allowing strikers to receive UI benefits.

Opinion: The only thing we have to fear is government AI intervention itself
Chris Cargill argues a federal AI approval system would favor big tech and stifle competition from smaller innovators.

Lunch Time!?!?
[Got an anonymous confession or rant you just have to share with the world? Submit it to I, Anonymous HERE!—eds] Who in the fuck shows up to work and the very first thing they do is feed their face on company time? Like full on sit, phone scrolling, and chowing down.Might as well…

What Does This All Mean In The End?
[Got an anonymous confession or rant you just have to share with the world? Submit it to I, Anonymous HERE!—eds] What I see, what I touch, what I do every week is not normal for most of you. I have been around more death than anyone I know or meet. I am a healthcare worker, a […]