News across Washington County
SAVAGE LOVE: Group Dynamics
I’m a 37-year-old (mostly) straight man who has been in and out of a series of committed, monogamous relationships for most of my adult life. I’m now at a point where I am feeling torn in two, and it doesn’t seem like there’s anyone in my life who I can ask for help who won’t […]
Mushroom Taffy Man
[Got an anonymous confession or rant you just have to share with the world? Submit it to I, Anonymous HERE!—eds] Dear Mushroom Taffy Man, We found you and were immediately smitten. Your goods are delicious, full of laughs and joy. You make shows brighter, Saturday afternoons with…
Your Truck Is Leaking Oil
[Got an anonymous confession or rant you just have to share with the world? Submit it to I, Anonymous HERE!—eds] Hey dude, your truck is leaking motor oil all over the place. It sucks for the environment. It sucks for everyone in our building’s parking lot that has to walk…
Good Morning, News: A Breakthrough in Early Cancer Detection, Shark Caught Swimming Around Jersey Shore, and Trump’s Rollback of Fuel Efficiency Standards
The Mercury provides news and fun every single day—but your help is essential. If you believe Portland benefits from smart, local journalism and arts coverage, please consider making a small monthly contribution, because without you, there is no us. Thanks for your support! Good…
Good Morning, News: Mayor Campaigns Against Progressives, Cyclists Protest Moda Deal, and Trump Uses YOUR Money to Spread Hate
If you believe Portland benefits from smart, local journalism and arts coverage, please consider making a small monthly contribution to the Mercury, because without you, there is no us. Thanks for your support! GOOD MORNING, PORTLAND! Expect a mostly sunny week ahead with a…

Spin Cycle: Feel the Pain
It can be tough to focus on new music releases when you’re mired in the hell of aches and pains. I’m lucky to have been almost entirely free from it the vast majority of my adult life, but as I descend into the dreaded middle age (gagged a little bit writing that), the looming…

Biding His Primetime: Robert Pattinson Attains Peak Weird Guy Form
“What would have happened if I wasn’t here?” Robert Pattinson asks this question throughout Primetime. In the role of Chris Hansen—the indeterminately telegenic host of once-popular hidden camera show To Catch A Predator—Pattinson practically turns the question into a mantra.…

POP QUIZ PDX: It’s a SCANDAL! 😲
CALLING ALL BRAINIACS! It’s time to put that brainy-brain to the test with this edition of POP QUIZ PDX—our local, sassy-ass trivia quiz. And this week we’ll see how much YOU know about the latest local political scandals—because as you know, Portland has nothing better to do…

Good Morning, News: Portland Mayor Breaks Tie Vote for Zenith, Introducing Our Citywide Dolly Parton Day, and Other Such Glitter That Is Gold
If you appreciate the Mercury‘s interesting and useful news & culture reporting, consider making a small monthly contribution to support our editorial team. Your donation is tax-deductible. You can also subscribe and have our papers delivered! Good Morning, Portland! The weather…

Romancing Portland Taught Me How to Embrace Writing Smut
I’m reading smut at lunch. Facing a cement wall in the parking lot, I comb an explicit love scene between bites of cottage cheese. Within the pages, Hades and Persephone are in his sex dungeon doing something I’d usually open an incognito tab for. He flips her this way. He flips…

Lunch Time!?!?
[Got an anonymous confession or rant you just have to share with the world? Submit it to I, Anonymous HERE!—eds] Who in the fuck shows up to work and the very first thing they do is feed their face on company time? Like full on sit, phone scrolling, and chowing down.Might as well…

What Does This All Mean In The End?
[Got an anonymous confession or rant you just have to share with the world? Submit it to I, Anonymous HERE!—eds] What I see, what I touch, what I do every week is not normal for most of you. I have been around more death than anyone I know or meet. I am a healthcare worker, a […]