News across Greater St. Louis
Pickings from Pike’s Past
50 YEARS AGO: UNIT 10 TEACHERS ASSOCIATION VOTES TO GO ON STRIKE 150 Years Ago Sept. 28, 1876 Last week the weather was so wet and rainy that but little seeding was done, but the weather being very fine and cool this week, an immense amount of ground will be seeded. The…
Looking Back… News items from the past pages of the Calhoun News-Herald
100 years ago September 30, 1926 Last Saturday the weather man dished us out a gentle reminder that old man winter was just around the corner and up to the time of our going to press cool weather continues with no promise of warmer weather in sight. Overcoats and heavy clothing…
Take our poll: Have you ever won an athletic or academic award?
2026 Town & Country Good Neighbor Award
Boyd Health Fair

Let’s Cook!
I am always on the lookout for recipes for my air fryer and save them to try. The other night I had a pork chop thawed out, but it was too hot to grill or turn on the oven, so I tried this recipe for Best Darn Air Fryer Pork Chops. (actually the word was not…
RIDGE RUNNER CHRONICLES: The Elizabeth Holmes Trailer
The studio known as “A 24 Studio” recently released a trailer of an upcoming documentary film about Elizabeth Holmes, the controversial young woman who was convicted of fraud for her representations about her medical testing company, “Theranos.” She is now in prison serving an…
OUTDOOR TRUTHS: Influence
Deer season is here. A few states have already opened, and the others are just around the corner. I am not prepared for this. I mean really, I am not prepared. I have put off hanging stands and setting up blinds. And I only have a few cameras out. The good news is that over…
ROBIN WRITES: Date Night at the Drive-In
It was summer, Saturday night. After a quick meal, usually curbside at A&W, my date and I set off to the Grande Drive-In, a dozen miles away. It was up to me to set the mood for the drive. I could stay sitting near the window on the passenger’s side and rest my arm along…

Newspaper honored with statewide writing awards at annual convention
St. Louis Call Newspapers was honored with four awards — one first-place, one second-place and two third-place — in the 2026 Missouri Press Association Better Newspaper Contest for four news articles published in 2025. The Call’s news department was presented with the awards on…

Spirits of the Past

How data center noise is different from regular noise pollution, according to a St. Louis scientist
A St. Louis scientist has spent her career studying sound and is now speaking out about the noise pollution that data centers could bring to the region.