Michigan Washtenaw County Greater Ann Arbor

Saline

News across Washtenaw County

The Michigan Daily Published 4 hours ago

Alcohol x Wellness Darty: We have to do it all?

I remember being in the airport with my mom when she asked me if I had ever drunk alcohol before. I was in my sophomore year of high school, and I hadn’t. She asked if I had any interest, and I said I didn’t, which was the truth. She pressed me a little harder, not […]

The Michigan Daily Published 4 hours ago

Club culture and humiliation: An inextricable pair

This school breeds insanity. Let’s admit it. We are all victims of this mass psychosis in one way or another — we have to be. It’s how we got here in the first place. The University of Michigan, home of the Leaders and the Best, is rife with enthusiasm, drive and the need to be…

The Michigan Daily Published 4 hours ago

Why does it have to be my birthday???

I wake up and check the date — something I do almost every morning — except once the calendar hits September, the number at the top of my phone becomes a flashing countdown: My birthday is approaching. I am still lying in bed when I start thinking about the inevitable question of…

The Michigan Daily Published 4 hours ago

What the air carries

I left Indonesia in early August of this year, three weeks before the sky over Palangkaraya would turn the color of a bruise sat too long under the skin. I did not know this at the time. I only knew that my flight out of Jakarta smelled the way it always smells: jet fuel folding…

The Michigan Daily Published 5 hours ago

The forgotten Koreans of Kazakhstan

“Why was Hong Beom-do’s body in Kazakhstan?” I asked my dad. I expected the legendary Korean independence fighter to be buried in Korea, or at the very least East Asia. Yet here I was, reading that Beom-do’s body was finally being repatriated from Kazakhstan, of all places, to…

The Michigan Daily Published 6 hours ago

The ROI on rogueness

Erin Coleman is an Opinion Cartoonist and can be reached at eccolem@umich.edu.

The Michigan Daily Published September 29

Michigan preserves goaltending trio from last season

Two seasons ago, the then-No. 17 Michigan hockey team fell out of postseason contention following its disappointing Big Ten quarterfinals effort, allowing 11 goals across two playoff games. Last season, while the Wolverines’ postseason run was three times longer, they allowed…

The Michigan Daily Published September 29

Turnover margin victories continue to elude Michigan

Emphasis on winning the turnover margin isn’t a new topic in Schembechler Hall, rather it’s one of the oldest. After defensive coordinator Jay Hill pronounced it as the main mission of his defense in fall camp, the Michigan football team failed to generate more turnovers than its…

The Michigan Daily Published September 29

Michigan coaching staff recognizes internal shortcomings

The Michigan football team was mere moments from entering Week 5 with a 4-0 record and starting its conference campaign with a bang. But after a last-second score from now-No. 14 Iowa, the Wolverines begin the week on their back foot — players and coaches alike. While there were…

The Sun Times News Published September 28

Special Weather Statement Issued 5:52AM for Washtenaw County, MI

A Special Weather Statement is in effect for Genesee, Lapeer, Livingston, Oakland, Macomb, Washtenaw, and Wayne as a plume of locally dense fog impacts southeast Michigan this morning, causing hazardous visibility reductions to a quarter mile or less; drivers should exercise…

The Michigan Daily Published September 28

SportsMonday: Karma came back around for Michigan

For any other team in the country, losing the way the Michigan football team did to now-No. 14 Iowa would feel like a miscarriage of justice. And perhaps in a vacuum, it was. The Wolverines outgained the Hawkeyes by 144 yards. They trailed for just two minutes all game. Iowa’s…

The Michigan Daily Published September 28

No. 20 Michigan unable to maintain dominance, falls in final minutes to Nebraska, 1-0

The No. 20 Michigan women’s soccer team’s clean passing, calmness under pressure and skilled ball movement were all suffocated by an 11th-hour goal by Nebraska. Despite dominating the first half, the Wolverines (4-3-3 overall, 2-3-0 Big Ten) played a shaky second half which left…

An unhandled error has occurred. Reload 🗙