Local News in Mecosta County
Community news from our local sources
Mecosta County 18 storiesWiden to Greater Big Rapids

Former Bulldog defensive lineman accused of domestic abuse
Editor’s Note: The following story contains details of domestic abuse Allegations from 2025 came to light shortly after midnight on July 26th against former Ferris football defensive lineman Tyrone Fowler. These allegations were brought to the public’s attention by Fowler’s…

Editor’s parting statement – Grace Heethuis
It is with a heavy heart that I have decided not to return as the Culture Editor for the Torch next year. While I’m so excited to graduate in December, I will unfortunately have to have a lot on my plate to get there. I have enjoyed this season so much, and it has been...

Editor’s Statement – Nolan Matthews
After spending the last year in the position of sports editor and being named Co-Editor-In-Chief earlier this month, I will be looking to continue to grow our sports section. Sports at Ferris is always changing, and at the Torch, we have the role of getting the news for athletics…

EDITOR’S COLUMN: Message from the editors
Harmony It feels surreal to be writing my very first editor’s column as editor-in-chief. I started at the Torch in 2022 as a culture reporter, but I never imagined the places this publication would take me. I am beyond grateful to be in this position; I wouldn’t be here today…

Editor’s Statement – Tate Zellman
It is an absolute honor to become editor for the opinions section. One of my goals is to keep the section remaining strong. A little bit about me, my name is Tate Zellman. I’m a fifth-year senior English education major from Grand Haven, MI. I started my time with the Torch back…

NBA finals predictions
Devin Wardrop – San Antonio Spurs beat Detroit Pistons Both teams have a gauntlet to go through in their respective conferences. San Antonio has the Timberwolves in the second round, which I think they can go through. Then, in the Western Conference Final is the Oklahoma City…