News across Schoolcraft County

Flashback
From October 1, 1992, issue of the Pioneer Tribune. B.A.B.E.S. instructor Tooter Barton teachers (l-r) Donny Klagstad, Andrew Mickelson, Stephen Burnis and Brian Jenerou about Donovan Dignity in the St. Francis De Sales kindergarten class. This is the first year the school has…

Alva Kepler cabin is unique
One of the requests for Souvenir of Manistique was received from Mr. David E. Scoon, who lives in Grand Haven, Michigan but calls Manistique his home. He said that he had saved quite a collection of the Memories articles as they have been a history lesson for him and it is his…

The Archives
50 years ago September 30, 1976 The Manistique Area Schools Board of Education officially accepted the keys to the new junior-senior high school during dedication ceremonies Sunday afternoon. The dedication and open house hosted by the board of education gave Schoolcraft County…

What parents should know about lead-based paint and testing
Lead exposure is preventable, but it remains an important public health concern— especially for young children. Children exposed to lead may not look or act sick, yet even low levels of lead exposure can affect learning, behavior, growth and development. One of the most common…

Flashback
From September 24, 1992, issue of the Pioneer Tribune. Parents Johanna Worley and Cathy Creighton (l-r) discuss the health curriculum that will be presented to this year's fifth graders at Lincoln School by teacher Brenda Fleck. You must be logged in to access the full version of…

The Archives
50 years ago September 23, 1976 More than two years after the ashes of the old courthouse were cleared away, Schoolcraft County dedicated its $2,173,549.63 replacement Saturday. The modern two-story building won’t be open until next month, however, as workmen complete the…

Letter to the Editor
Dear Editor, Letter Concerning Democratic Integrity and Oversight; I am writing to express my concern regarding the ongoing erosion of public trust and ethical standards within our federal government, specifically concerning the actions and financial dealings of Donald Trump. A…

Flashback
From September 15, 2016, issue of the Pioneer Tribune. It all started 12 years ago when the Eagles I team won the Women’s Horseshoe League. Little did they know then they would be the recipient of a new winner’s plaque and also hold the legacy of a 12- year winning streak.…

Letters and more Letters
How many times haven’t you heard someone say “Do what I say; not what I do?” I plead guilty myself. I’ve been yapping about people who don’t write names or dates on pictures and I failed to do so myself. The little girl sitting on Clinton Leonard’s lap in last week’s column is…

The Archives
50 years ago September 16, 1976 The State Savings Bank has been having a gala celebration this week with the Grand Opening of their newly remodeled main office in Manistique. The front of the bank is in sandstone while the interior is quite spacious and very attractive. State…

Flashback
From September 8, 2016, issue of the Pioneer Tribune. The annual MMA Car Show held Saturday was a hit, bringing in the second highest number of registrants in its 20-year history. You must be logged in to access the full version of this story. Please login below or Subscribe…

Memories of Clinton – my mentor and my friend
This couldn’t be happening! I have intended to write something short and light or maybe lines from some of the letters received from former residents who requested “A Souvenir of Manistique”. But, when I drove home Saturday morning to pick up my mail and newspapers, I noticed my…