Illinois Sangamon County Greater Springfield, IL

Spaulding

News across Sangamon County

Illinois Times Published September 17

Doing the job

We live in dread of the robot brains, haunted as we are by our exchanges with chatbots that are smarter than any actual person we’ve ever known. More perfect AI is likely to make obsolete jobs by the millions. (On the upside, that will include lots of dreary jobs that talented…

Illinois Times Published September 16

Springfield’s ISO Class 1 win and community legacy

The Springfield City Council packed a lot into a few minutes that matter for everyone living here. First up: a big win for public safety. The Springfield Fire Department just confirmed it kept its ISO Class 1 rating after a year-long review — a distinction only about 1% of…

Illinois Times Published September 15

“Okies,” Angela Davis, hope and humanity

I recently re-read John Steinbeck’s deeply researched classic historical novel The Grapes of Wrath. I was reminded of a phrase often misattributed to another author, Mark Twain: “History may not repeat itself but it often rhymes.” It’s the story of families from across the U.S.…

Illinois Times Published September 10

Grayson’s death likely to erase his conviction

In a legal twist that the family of Sonya Massey didn’t expect, the murder conviction of her killer, former Sangamon County sheriff’s deputy, Sean Grayson, likely will be erased because of his death during an ongoing court appeal. Grayson’s lawyers cited the well-established…

Illinois Times Published September 10

A teacher remembers 9/11

I was teaching at Southeast High School on Sept. 11, 2001. My American literature class of juniors had just read The Crucible. I was showing the class a clip from the movie when a colleague came to my door, motioned me into the hall and told me what had happened in New York. Two…

Illinois Times Published September 10

An uplifting season

I’ll be the first to admit, I’m not much of a sports fan. The idea of the Women’s Professional Baseball League playing its inaugural season in Springfield was interesting as a historical happening. But it was not until Lucky Horseshoes Chief Storyteller Jamie Toole spoke at our…

An unhandled error has occurred. Reload 🗙