Florida Monroe County Greater Key West

Tavernier

News across Monroe County

Keys Weekly Published 1 hour ago

Wild Things: 59 species or bust, continued

The rain only lasted an hour, maybe an hour and a half. Enough time to go home and help reassure the dog that the thunder did not mean the world was ending or that anyone was mad at her, and if she had another Milkbone maybe she’d start to believe that everything was going to […]

Keys Weekly Published September 29

Buying ‘Fresh from Florida’: The state produces more than oranges

Have you ever stood in the produce section and actually looked at where your food came from? I do this more often than I probably should. I’ll pick up a tomato, turn it over and look for the little sticker. Florida? Great. California? That tomato has had quite a road trip.…

Keys Weekly Published September 29

Functionally Caffeinated Wellness: You’ve been influenced

I have been on a bit of a de-influencing kick over on my Instagram page lately. My mission is pretty simple: educate people about health and wellness while hopefully preventing a few of you from falling victim to the $6.8 TRILLION global industry that is health and wellness. Yes,…

Keys Weekly Published September 28

Keys History: Henry Flagler’s island legacy

Henry Flagler and the Key West Extension of his Florida East Coast Railway altered the history of the Florida Keys. Before his train came rocking and rolling over land and sea, the island chain was home to boating communities. The outside world was linked to the docks and wharves…

Keys Weekly Published September 25

Key West has a weed problem — a seaweed problem

It’s hard to miss the scent of weed hovering over Key West, seemingly most pungent near the island’s beaches. But this isn’t the Willie Nelson smell of weed. Key West — and much of Florida, Mexico, Central America, Puerto Rico and the Caribbean — are dealing with an unprecedented…

Keys Weekly Published September 25

Wild Things: 59 species or bust

Summer had been officially over for nearly half a day, and I had the day mostly free. The only limiting factor, I thought, was the predicted storms, which were supposed to hit at about 1 o’clock by my reading of the weather page. Normally I wouldn’t head out birding at 11 a.m. on…

Keys Weekly Published September 22

Keys History: The curious case of the Key lemon

When it comes to buying bags of birdseed, peanuts are a common ingredient. Blue jays love them. Squirrels do, too. While I am not sure what blue jays do when they fly away with peanuts, I have observed some squirrel behavior. Squirrels like to bury them. Sometimes, when those…

Keys Weekly Published September 21

Functionally Caffeinated Wellness: Congratulations, we discovered moderate exercise

I have had a longstanding issue with cardio equipment. Not the treadmill itself. Not the elliptical. Not even the stair climber, although that thing and I have exchanged some words over the years. It’s the buttons. Fat Burn. Cardio. Weight Loss. Performance. Heart Rate. Interval.…

Keys Weekly Published September 18

Miles to Go: County commissioner Jim Scholl talks Top Gun & F-14 Tomcats

“You were Goose.” Yep, that was me, the picture of professionalism last week, calling a county commissioner a goose while sitting in his office at the Gato Building. He didn’t throw me out or quietly ask his assistant Sue Burke to call the nice behavioral health folks at dePoo…

Keys Weekly Published September 15

Functionally Caffeinated Wellness: Your grandma was right about fiber

Well, it’s official. The internet found fiber and now “we” are having to take it to the MAXX. Yes, everything is MAXXING right now. Gag. Seriously, folks, not everything has to be on trend, hashtagged or given two Xes to get a point across, does it? The health and wellness world…

Keys Weekly Published September 15

Palm trees: To prune or not to prune?

By Liah Continentino Should you prune your palm trees before a hurricane? The answer may surprise you. Palm trees are among the most hurricane-tolerant landscape plants in Florida, yet they are often subjected to one of the most common pruning mistakes. If you have a palm in your…

An unhandled error has occurred. Reload 🗙