Local News in Jefferson County

Community news from our local sources

Jefferson County

Jefferson County 40 storiesWiden to Greater Tallahassee

Monticello News / ECB Publishing Published September 09

Do you have recalled beef in your freezer?

Autumn Raulerson ECB Publishing, Inc. In August, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety Inspection Service (USDA; FSIS) announced a Class I risk recall on nearly 30,000 pounds of raw beef that...

Monticello News / ECB Publishing Published September 09

Cyclospora, should I be concerned?

Katherine Allen UF/IFAS Extension Have you eaten salad lately? With the recall notices for lettuce, I have seen and heard a reluctance to eat salad from friends and family. So, how do...

Monticello News / ECB Publishing Published September 07

A perspective on labor for Labor Day

Sheryl H. Boldt Guest Columnist Bert and I were saddened to learn that our friend Wallace had only weeks to live due to advanced leukemia. Six months later, although he never went...

Monticello News / ECB Publishing Published September 06

Make your home more secure

Metro Media A home should be a place of comfort and security. But homes can be targeted by thieves who are eager to make off with people’s hard-earned possessions. Securing a home...

Monticello News / ECB Publishing Published September 05

Get the Flock out

I was very pleased this week to get a call from our most excellent Sheriff McNeill, who told me ALL of the Flock cameras in the county were being removed. Our most...

Monticello News / ECB Publishing Published September 04

Charlie Reichert embraces year 101

Laura Young ECB Publishing, Inc. World War II Navy Veteran Charlie Reichert celebrated his 101st birthday this summer and, while mindful of the heat, is enjoying an active life on the same...

Monticello News / ECB Publishing Published September 04

A tale of two bagpipes: part two

Mickey Starling ECB Publishing, Inc. Following the exploits of Bill Millins, who marched upon the bloody shores of Sword Island playing his bagpipe, yet another British soldier, Jack “Mad Jack” Churchill made...

Monticello News / ECB Publishing Published September 03

EPA ends summer gas rules early to lower U.S. pump prices

Alton Wallace The Center Square The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) on Thursday issued a temporary emergency waiver that allows nationwide sales of winter-grade gasoline two weeks early in an effort to increase...

Monticello News / ECB Publishing Published September 03

From the Sunny Side: Childhood Cancer Awareness Month

Rick Patrick Columnist As you probably surmise from the title, this will be a little bit of a departure from our usual weekly visits. I’m sure you won’t mind too much. September...

Monticello News / ECB Publishing Published September 02

Thinking of getting outdoor sport supplies? Right now, it’s tax-free in Florida

Hailey Heseltine ECB Publishing, Inc. This time of year, many people start gearing up for a busy season of outdoor activities. Major hunting seasons, including for deer and waterfowl, are just around...

Monticello News / ECB Publishing Published September 02

Birch Benders pancakes please the palate

Mickey Starling Columnist I’ve always been a bit of a foodie, which is a polite way of saying I am quite picky about what my tastebuds entertain. Growing up, my mother’s pancakes...

Monticello News / ECB Publishing Published September 02

Donna’s decision

Rev. John Hicks Guest Columnist Twelve years ago last month, my cousin passed from cancer. Found among her possessions was this copy of a testimony she shared which I share with you....

An unhandled error has occurred. Reload 🗙