Local News in Jefferson County

Community news from our local sources

Jefferson County

Jefferson County 37 storiesWiden to Greater Tallahassee

Monticello News / ECB Publishing Published September 17

Harvest season is here

Stefanie L. Prevatt ECB Publishing, Inc. If you have spent much time traveling the back roads and highways of Jefferson County, chances are you have found yourself behind a tractor, sprayer or...

Monticello News / ECB Publishing Published September 16

When we’d rather crop ourselves out of photos

Sheryl H. Boldt Guest Columnist Do you cringe when you see photos of yourself? Perhaps you hide from the camera because you’re worried your physical flaws will be frozen in the snapshot...

Monticello News / ECB Publishing Published September 16

Second Amendment Sales Tax Holiday returns

Lazaro Aleman ECB Publishing, Inc. For the second year in a row, Florida’s Second Amendment Sales Tax Holiday is happening. Beginning on Sept. 1 and running through Dec. 31, the state has...

Monticello News / ECB Publishing Published September 14

‘Give Them Flowers Now’

Mary Madison Contributor In 1986, I was gifted a very special book by our school librarian: “Leaves of Gold.” The book is a collection of literary pieces by ancient and modern authors....

Monticello News / ECB Publishing Published September 12

Could Monticello have a watermelon museum?

Laura Young ECB Publishing, Inc. I traveled a lot over the summer to be with family and pretty much left my garden to the elements. The marigolds got gigantic, a banana pepper...

Monticello News / ECB Publishing Published September 11

Is there hope for our divided nation?

Sheryl H. Boldt Guest Columnist Immediately following 9/11, I cringed every time I heard a plane fly overhead. Like so many others, I prayed for our nation’s survival. That frightful event’s only...

Monticello News / ECB Publishing Published September 11

Remembering September 11

Rev. John Hicks Guest Columnist There are some events in our lifetime that have a lasting impact on us. Jan. 28 is my birthday, but on Jan. 28, 1986, the Challenger exploded....

Monticello News / ECB Publishing Published September 10

Preventative protocols: What happened post-9/11?

Autumn Raulerson ECB Publishing, Inc. It has been 25 years since the tragedy that occurred at the World Trade Center, known as 9/11, rocked our nation to its core. The generation that...

Monticello News / ECB Publishing Published September 10

The chilling history of ice in the Deep South

Mickey Starling ECB Publishing, Inc. Ice is so common today that it is taken for granted. Almost every store sells it, and our refrigerators spit it out on demand. Such was not...

Monticello News / ECB Publishing Published September 09

Do you have recalled beef in your freezer?

Autumn Raulerson ECB Publishing, Inc. In August, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety Inspection Service (USDA; FSIS) announced a Class I risk recall on nearly 30,000 pounds of raw beef that...

Monticello News / ECB Publishing Published September 09

Cyclospora, should I be concerned?

Katherine Allen UF/IFAS Extension Have you eaten salad lately? With the recall notices for lettuce, I have seen and heard a reluctance to eat salad from friends and family. So, how do...

Monticello News / ECB Publishing Published September 07

A perspective on labor for Labor Day

Sheryl H. Boldt Guest Columnist Bert and I were saddened to learn that our friend Wallace had only weeks to live due to advanced leukemia. Six months later, although he never went...

An unhandled error has occurred. Reload 🗙