Florida Monroe County Greater Key West

Duck Key

News across Greater Key West

Keys Weekly Published 5 hours ago

Legendary Keys angler Jose Wejebe takes his place in the IGFA Hall of Fame

In an island chain known as a world-renowned sportfishing destination, it takes a supreme level of talent and influence to make a mark. But when you’ve earned the status as a household name in the angling community, it’s only right that your name should be up there with the…

Keys Weekly Published 6 hours ago

Key West Back in the Day: Roosters prove the power of publicity

Avant-garde artist Andy Warhol once claimed that, in the future, every human being would achieve 15 minutes of fame. But he never said a word about roosters. More recent transplants to Key West seem to believe that the free-roaming poultry population, and the near-constant…

Keys Weekly Published 7 hours ago

Horoscopes: Truth in connection

This is a week of difficult but necessary conversations. It is time for some radical honesty, and just getting the information out will be more important than attempting to say it the “right” way. Mercury, the planet of communication and logic, is moving into the watery…

Keys Weekly Published 8 hours ago

Wild Things: 59 species or bust, continued

The rain only lasted an hour, maybe an hour and a half. Enough time to go home and help reassure the dog that the thunder did not mean the world was ending or that anyone was mad at her, and if she had another Milkbone maybe she’d start to believe that everything was going to […]

Keys Weekly Published September 29

Buying ‘Fresh from Florida’: The state produces more than oranges

Have you ever stood in the produce section and actually looked at where your food came from? I do this more often than I probably should. I’ll pick up a tomato, turn it over and look for the little sticker. Florida? Great. California? That tomato has had quite a road trip.…

Keys Weekly Published September 29

Functionally Caffeinated Wellness: You’ve been influenced

I have been on a bit of a de-influencing kick over on my Instagram page lately. My mission is pretty simple: educate people about health and wellness while hopefully preventing a few of you from falling victim to the $6.8 TRILLION global industry that is health and wellness. Yes,…

Keys Weekly Published September 28

Keys History: Henry Flagler’s island legacy

Henry Flagler and the Key West Extension of his Florida East Coast Railway altered the history of the Florida Keys. Before his train came rocking and rolling over land and sea, the island chain was home to boating communities. The outside world was linked to the docks and wharves…

Keys Weekly Published September 25

Key West has a weed problem — a seaweed problem

It’s hard to miss the scent of weed hovering over Key West, seemingly most pungent near the island’s beaches. But this isn’t the Willie Nelson smell of weed. Key West — and much of Florida, Mexico, Central America, Puerto Rico and the Caribbean — are dealing with an unprecedented…

Keys Weekly Published September 25

Wild Things: 59 species or bust

Summer had been officially over for nearly half a day, and I had the day mostly free. The only limiting factor, I thought, was the predicted storms, which were supposed to hit at about 1 o’clock by my reading of the weather page. Normally I wouldn’t head out birding at 11 a.m. on…

Keys Weekly Published September 22

Keys History: The curious case of the Key lemon

When it comes to buying bags of birdseed, peanuts are a common ingredient. Blue jays love them. Squirrels do, too. While I am not sure what blue jays do when they fly away with peanuts, I have observed some squirrel behavior. Squirrels like to bury them. Sometimes, when those…

Keys Weekly Published September 21

Functionally Caffeinated Wellness: Congratulations, we discovered moderate exercise

I have had a longstanding issue with cardio equipment. Not the treadmill itself. Not the elliptical. Not even the stair climber, although that thing and I have exchanged some words over the years. It’s the buttons. Fat Burn. Cardio. Weight Loss. Performance. Heart Rate. Interval.…

An unhandled error has occurred. Reload 🗙