News across Etowah County

Navigating breast health: Why a personalized screening plan matters
With varying recommendations about breast cancer screening, many women may wonder when they should begin regular mammograms. Gadsden Regional Medical Center is encouraging women to discuss their individual breast cancer risk with their physicians and develop a screening plan…

Victory has a posture: Get in position
By Shawn Blackmon There are moments in football when the most powerful thing a quarterback can do is take a knee. It’s called the victory formation. Late in the game, when a team has the lead and enough time can be taken off the clock, the quarterback doesn’t throw a pass or…

Week four review of SEC football with Cole Frederick
By Cole Frederick Alabama Week 4 Review After back-to-back slow starts, the Crimson Tide played its best first half of the season in a dominant 49-18 win over South Carolina. Alabama jumped out to a 35-10 lead at half, and while the total yardage ended up looking much closer,…


Legals for 10/02/2026 – 10/08/2026
MORTGAGE FORECLOSURE SALE Default having been made in the payment of the indebtedness secured by a certain Mortgage made by Robert M. McElroy, Jr. And Sidney Clark McElroy Husband and Wife, (the “Mortgagor”), in favor of Redstone Federal Credit Union dated March 13, 2012, and…

The whirlwind dash to the end of the year
By Tabitha Bozeman This week marked the beginning of my very most favorite season of the year: Autumn. As F. Scott Fitzgerald said, “Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall.” I usually feel as if I don’t get the time — or take the time — to really enjoy it, […]

Hold the line
By Shawn Blackmon Most people watching a football game follow the ball. We watch the quarterback throw it, the receiver catch it and the running back fight for another yard. But there is another group on the field that rarely gets attention unless something goes wrong: the…

For such a time as this
By Sandra Bost I have always loved butterflies. Their vibrant colors and graceful, carefree flight are mesmerizing. Whenever I see one, it feels like a glad surprise. I got that from a devotion I have called “God Calling.” Glad surprises are what the two listeners call the quiet…


Legals for 9/25/2026 – 10/01/2026
NOTICE OF MORTGAGE FORECLOSURE SALE STATE OF ALABAMA COUNTY OF ETOWAH Default having been made of the terms of the loan documents secured by that certain mortgage executed by David L. Tucker, a married man and Kimberly Tucker, and his Wife, to Mortgage Electronic Registration…

A letter from one of the editors: Fresh starts and unwordable excitement
By Caylie Moore, Features Editor Dear reader: As some of you have thoughtfully noticed, Gadsden Messenger recently welcomed someone new to the team behind the “local good news newspaper”: me — that is, Caylie Moore, Features Editor! And I am so excited to be here, more than I…