Local News

Community news from our local sources

Greater Providence 114 storieswidest scope for this area

Motif Magazine Published September 29

BTS with DMK: Meet the Movie Makers of Rhode Island

Do you know how many filmmakers either live or make movies here in Rhode Island? I don’t, but I do know there are quite a few of them creating all kinds of films. In my work as an actor, I have crossed paths with many talented folks on set and at events. Today, I would […]

Motif Magazine Published September 29

Peace Test

Peace Test wastes no time proving that there are a lot of layers to hardcore with Repercussion, their latest release via Delayed Gratification Records (among others for various mediums). They pack a ton of thump into a mere 12 minutes of music, averaging slightly more than a…

Motif Magazine Published September 29

Stop, Rock & Roll: October

As the leaves begin to drop, so too do hot new tracks from RI artists! We catalogue five of them here! endorfins – “bloom” Endorfins recently burst onto the scene with their self-titled debut EP. Opening track “bloom” kicks things off with poise and confidence, calling to mind…

Motif Magazine Published September 29

Jennifer Ugarte

Jennifer Ugarte is a woman who lived most of her life in Guatemala, where she studied marketing and photography. She loves being part of the greater RI community and giving back. She has used her education, skills, and artistic talents to help others. When Jennifer came to RI a…

Motif Magazine Published September 29

Niko Tolentino

“My heritage colors who I am, and my art is pieces of who I am.” Niko was born here in PVD. As a young child of about 5 years old, he remembers visiting his relatives in the Dominican Republic. He recounted hearing the rain bounce off their corrugated roof. Niko grew up here in…

Motif Magazine Published September 29

Rene Gomez

Rene Gomez was born in the Dominican Republic and moved to Providence as a young child. He is immensely proud of his heritage. It was no accident that he walked into our meeting wearing a shirt that read, “Dios, Patria, Libertad,” which translates to, “God, Homeland, Liberty.”…

Motif Magazine Published September 29

Jesus Andujar

When I first came to RI from New York, I asked my friend, “Where is all the Latin music? Where is all the jazz?” One of the first people he introduced me to was Jesus Andujar. I remember he was playing in Burnside Park. I really enjoyed it. It took me back to New York […]

Motif Magazine Published September 29

Lydia Pérez

What can I say about Lydia Pérez? She is a local gem and a talented artist, fluent in Puerto Rico’s history. She is always ready to share its history and folklore with anyone who will listen. She can sing you a song, lead a drum circle, and even carve a saintly statue in the…

Motif Magazine Published September 29

ON THE COVER: Nilton Cárdenas

Cover artist Nilton Cárdenas of Cranston refuses to stand still. “I am constantly moving, and creating art,” he says in an interview at Sharks Peruvian Cuisine on Broad Street in Central Falls. And when he’s not putting a brush to canvas, or a pencil to a sketchbook page, he’s…

Motif Magazine Published September 29

Magda León: An Immigrant Woman Full of Fire

Magda León is more than a multidisciplinary artist; she is an immigrant woman who uses art to explore her identity, her roots, and her connection to community. When I asked her how she describes herself, her answer was short: “I’m just an immigrant woman.” And she channels that…

Motif Magazine Published September 29

The Art of Giving Back: Nilton Cárdenas Is Creating More Than Art

For the Rhode Island artist, educator and muralist, creativity has become a way to open doors, strengthen community and help others discover possibilities within themselves. For Nilton Cárdenas, giving back does not begin with charity. It begins with creativity. It can happen…

Motif Magazine Published September 22

Stink Tank

Stink Tank – It’s a name that evokes images of a feculent vat and provokes the question: What the hell is this? and Who came up with that name? Stink Tank published its first manifesto June 25, 2004 on the website ArtInRuins.com in an essay titled Compost and the Arts: How to…

An unhandled error has occurred. Reload 🗙