Local News

Community news from our local sources

Greater Naples 22 storieswidest scope for this area

Florida Weekly (Charlotte) Published September 24

Holding Space

They call it music therapy, which is too imprecise a term to describe what really happens sometimes when the rubber meets the road — when music touches a person sliding into eternity through a gradually darkening tunnel called dementia. What happens, says a 15-year veteran of…

Florida Weekly (Naples) Published September 24

American Hagwon by Min Jin Lee

Min Jin Lee is the brilliant novelist of “Pachinko”, the amazing novel we all fell in love with in 2017, yes, nine years ago. Since then, I have been waiting anxiously for a new novel by Lee. Lo and behold, here it is: “American Hagwon” is the novel Lee began in 2016 and has been…

Florida Weekly (Fort Myers) Published September 23

Nine-year-old designer’s jewelry saves turtles

She’s an entrepreneur. A conservationist. An artist. She’s nine and she can’t be so easily defined. Still, her designs are inspiring people of all ages to care for the environment, to launch their business plans and to be creative. People wear her wares feeling proud that they’re…

Florida Weekly (Naples) Published September 23

Painting her own path

Stacie Krupa, an artist beloved in Naples, Bonita Springs, Fort Myers and beyond Southwest Florida, got her start in art at the age of 12. She has spent most of her career studying the craft and finding interesting ways to apply it. “I have always been interested in creating…

Florida Weekly (Naples) Published September 22

Inclusive theatre webinar Sept. 30

STARability Foundation explores how the performing arts can build skills, foster connections and expand accessibility during its upcoming “Support. Learn. Connect.” webinar. The free virtual session, “The Naples Players: How Theatres Can Impact a Community,” will take place from…

Florida Weekly (Charlotte) Published September 22

Getting to the bottom

In the world of collecting, I’m lucky. I know a little about a lot. Of course, that also means there’s a lot I don’t know, so that’s when I turn to experts. That’s where my friend Jimmy comes in. He has dealt in antiques and collectibles since he was a boy. In other words, he…

Florida Weekly (Naples) Published September 21

New talent takes the stage

Artis—Naples, home of The Baker Museum and Naples Philharmonic, announced six new musician appointments to the Naples Philharmonic by Sharon and Timothy Ubben Artistic and Music Director Alexander Shelley for the 2026-27 season. Joining the orchestra are Alex Heidt, section…

Florida Weekly (Naples) Published September 18

Learning to laugh

The 10 participants stood in a circle, following the instructor like it was a game of Simon Says. “We are going to start off with a stretch. We’re going to start off with a Y stretch,” instructor Kit FitzSimons said. “When we stretch that Y out, I’d like you to give me a loud and…

Florida Weekly (Naples) Published September 14

The Cuban experience

I have long been intrigued by the often-tumultuous relationship between the United States and Cuba. My first memory of Cuba was during the Cuban Missile Crisis. I must have been 12 at the time and I was living in Delaware when my mother suddenly decided to go down and check out…

Florida Weekly (Naples) Published September 14

What goes with what

My last column delved into the so-called “rules” about how to pair wines with various types of food and cuisines and how breaking those rules can lead us to new culinary experiences and discoveries. It’s an extensive (and sometimes controversial) topic, so I decided to seek out…

Florida Weekly (Naples) Published September 13

Winning Words

Florida Weekly continues to celebrate the winners of its 16th annual readers’ Writing Challenge. This week, it’s the second and third honorable mention stories, along with interviews with the winners. Note: Florida Weekly runs the Writing Challenge stories “as is,” without any…

Florida Weekly (Naples) Published September 11

Brotherly harmonies come to life with ‘Forever Everly’

Step back in time with a unique musical and film perspective inside the lives of the infamous rock ‘n’ roll duo Don and Phil Everly in Florida Repertory Theatre’s production of “Forever Everly: The Everly Brothers Rockumentary”. Defining the sound of a generation, this brotherly…

An unhandled error has occurred. Reload 🗙