Local News

Community news from our local sources

Greater Miami 49 storieswidest scope for this area

Florida Weekly (Naples) Published September 27

6th place winner

“Beyond Measure” By Mary Pierce of Juno Beach “I’m going out for cigarettes,” Margie announced. “In this?” Gina glanced toward the window. “You’re crazy!” There was a foot of snow on the ground, with more in the forecast, but Margie didn’t care. “Actually, I prefer weather like…

Calle Ocho News Published September 23

Arsht Center Hispanic Heritage Programming Connects Miami Through Culture, Memory and Access

The Arsht Center is using Hispanic Heritage programming to connect Miami-Dade families through Cuban music, bilingual theater, Mexican traditions, cultural memory and expanded access to the arts.

Palm Beach ArtsPaper Published September 23

The View From Home: ‘Hell’s Highway’ unearths the morbid history of the driver’s-ed shock doc

The scariest thing I saw on television as a child was an episode of the animated G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero in which seemingly solid characters melt into a purplish ooze. I learn now, on the interwebs, that the episode was a Twilight Zone-inspired two-parter called “There’s…

Florida Weekly (Fort Myers) Published September 22

Getting to the bottom

In the world of collecting, I’m lucky. I know a little about a lot. Of course, that also means there’s a lot I don’t know, so that’s when I turn to experts. That’s where my friend Jimmy comes in. He has dealt in antiques and collectibles since he was a boy. In other words, he…

Coral Springs Talk Published September 21

Delgado Leads Coral Springs Charter Marching Band Into New Season

Leah Delgado is passionate about music and loves leading the Coral Springs Charter marching band.

Hy-Lo News Published September 19

WATCH: Hy-Lo News Launches “305 On The Rise” to Amplify South Florida’s Next Generation of Artists

South Florida has never lacked talent. What its emerging artists often lack is consistent visibility, strong media support and an Continue Reading

Coral Springs Talk Published September 19

Benise Celebrates 25 Years of Spanish Guitar and Dance Sept. 26

Spanish guitarist Benise will celebrate 25 years of music and dance with “Benise: 25 Years of Passion” on Saturday, Sept. 26, at 7:30 p.m. at the Coral Springs Center for the Arts.

The Town-Crier Published September 18

‘Practical Magic 2’ Is An Unimaginative Sequel To An Older Movie

‘I’ ON CULTURE Unfortunately, Practical Magic 2 suffers from the fate of most sequels. Essentially, it just sort of comes at you, assuming you know the story from the previous movie, but then just goes nowhere. Add to that the fact that the original was made over a quarter of a…

The Town-Crier Published September 17

‘Jonnie’ Screening And Q&A With Jonnie Jonckowski On Sept. 30

Jonnie Jonckowski is a Montana legend. She grew up with a passion for horses, natural athleticism and a relentless competitive drive. In her early 20s — just when her dream of becoming an Olympic pentathlete was within reach — she was permanently sidelined by a back injury. In…

Coral Gables Magazine Published September 14

The Garden

Coral Gables Garden Club member Susan Thomas shares her North Gables garden, a collection of orchids, begonias, exotics, and pollinator-friendly plants cultivated over decades.

Coral Gables Magazine Published September 14

What’s New and Noteworthy in Design This September

From new surfaces, rugs, kitchens, and outdoor furniture to Maritza Capiro’s layered renovation of a 1925 Granada home, here’s what’s new in design this September.

Coral Springs Talk Published September 10

J.P. Taravella Students Take the Lead in Annual Festival of Plays

The J.P. Taravella High School Drama Department will showcase student talent and leadership during its annual Festival of Plays in October.

An unhandled error has occurred. Reload 🗙