Local News
Community news from our local sources
Greater Eugene 6 storieswidest scope for this area
Ehly: UO needs better detour planning around construction zones
I’ve almost been hit by an electric scooter on the way to class more times than I can count. Thankfully, I’ve never actually been hit, but I’ve come close enough times that I stopped being surprised when I hear the sound of an e-scooter coming too close. Scooters and e-bikes are…
Novak: What good is a land acknowledgement?
If you have ever been to a UO event, chances are you’ve heard the university’s land acknowledgment. You’ll walk in, find your seat, and then the speaker will start by saying: “The University of Oregon is located within the traditional homelands of the Southern Kalapuya.” It goes…
Leininger: UO’s hiring freeze is closing doors for students, and the university isn’t tracking it
Throughout my freshman and sophomore years at UO, my Outlook inbox was flooded with Handshake on-campus job postings. Amidst university-wide budget cuts and an active hiring freeze that began on May 14, Handshake has become a barren landscape where I am more likely to stumble…

UO’s beach volleyball court is ready for play
On Wednesday, Sept. 23, the University of Oregon women’s beach volleyball team walked through a crowd of cheering family, friends and coaches and onto glistening sand divided by freshly installed nets, to make their first serve on the new court. The court complex, about 159 feet…
Q&A with ASUO President, Quadrian Gill
Editor’s note: The following responses have been edited for brevity and clarity. Running on the UO Student Power slate, Quadrian Gill was elected as ASUO’s president last spring. Gill was the ASUO Speaker of the Legislature during the 2025-26 school year. The Daily Emerald sat…

UO office employees asked to fill dining shifts during potential strike
Some University of Oregon Office of Administration employees, who mainly hold jobs related to administrative services, were asked to fill 4-hour dining hall shifts the following week if Service Employees International Union local 503 goes on strike, according to multiple sources…